Friday, September 14, 2012

Fangirl Glee Post: Torchlight!

I've said before that I'm not much of a gamer. I play games casually when I need a break or a recharge. I dislike games that feel like work or remind me too much of real life.

 I discovered Torchlight in 2009 and bought it during the Steam Holiday sale. I figured, for $2.50 I couldn't go wrong. Well, I've had more fun with Torchlight in the past 3 years than I have with many more expensive games. The story is...admittedly flawed (read: non-existent) the mechanics are kind of simple. I hear a lot of hardcore RPG gamers bitch that the graphics are "cartoony." I grew up in the 80s and 90s playing Super Mario Brothers and DONKEY KONG, so I come to video games with a whole different standard in mind. I think a lot of the games out today are all show (graphics) and little to no game. You spend your time marveling over what it looks like and then being frustrated or confused for hours on end as you try to complete the game. Games are supposed to be fun.

 Torchlight was developed on a shoestring budget by a small indie company, Runic Games. Given that, I think it holds up pretty well. It's certainly got enough attention. The long anticipated sequel, Torchlight II, comes out 5 days. I'm just about ready to explode with the wait. So, if things are silent here for a while, you may want to send search parties to Vilderan.

No comments:

Post a Comment